Thursday 21 May 2015

Covered: Edited Conversations - Confucius

The book is called Analects which translates to "Edited Conversations". I thought this would be an interesting title to work with because I could directly apply it to the book cover by editing and manipulating the words.

編輯對話 = Edited Conversations









This is the process I took when creating my book cover. As it was work for an exhibition I wanted it to grab attention straight away which is why I have chosen to keep the image central on a white background using bold colours. I had created a variety of colour combinations for the type and felt that this was the most appropriate. 

To show the blend between languages I mirrored the English heading with the Chinese version which creates and effective contrast between the two and gives the title and overall design more of a context. 

The back cover is a small blurb roughly outlining some of Confucius' ideologies and a quote to accompany it.    



Another subtle effect to make the print look more organic was to add a displacement map which randomly distorts the image by breaking up some of the pixels. 

I feel as though I have achieved what I proposed for this project and found I could't expand on the design much further. The cover works as an original rather then a re-design as the original was just a collection of scriptures. I have brought a book 1000s of years old and appropriated it into a contemporary setting.          

Exhibition piece:

Printed on snowden cartridge 300gsm 









No comments:

Post a Comment