Monday 2 March 2015

Monotype - VHS Posters/Cases


I have designed my posters to fit the dimensions of a VHS case as the original A3 format took away from the aesthetic I wanted when printed out as they didn't look like VHS covers. Above are the dimensions I'm working at.     




One thing I had pay attention to was the point size of the fonts, any lower than 8 became difficult to read at the right scale and is important for the brief the the information is communicated well. This mean that some of the smaller text had to be enlarged compared to previous designs so they could be read when printed.   

As I am designing for screen print I want the type an shapes to be block vectors as it would be difficult to print a gradient at such a small scale. To resolve this issue I decided to create a halftone gradient where I could get tonal difference with one colour.   

 I will have to consider my choice of stock carefully so the colours appear how I want them to. I was originally going to use the blues sampled from the original Starman posters however the title wasn't legible enough over he graphic as there wasn't enough contrast between the two. 


Adjusting the Hue and Saturation in photoshop allowed me to see which colours where the clearest to read although the letter 'R' is still difficult to pick out so I may need to change it before screen printing the final pieces. 


Instead of replacing the type from some of the original VHS cases like I had been doing I decided to take a combination of different elements such as fonts, colours, layout, logos from a mixture of designs which created something new yet were still retrospective of the original designs. 







I found these covers for some old 80s video cases and gave me the idea to create full cases for my touch point.  








The touch point side of the project will be a video case, below are the dimensions for the net. More information can also be added and again is a good link to the time the films were made. These could be sold after the event or be used as a case to hold posters/tickets and other printed media.   


Starman



The Fog




I decided that it would be difficult to screen print a gradient at such as small scale so some people suggested I use a halftone to create the same effect consistently.  






To make it seem like a VHS case I added some information about the tape including its ratings which was mandatory in the brief 



They Live



















No comments:

Post a Comment