Monday 2 March 2015

Secret 7 'Sledgehammer' PETER GABRIEL

Secret 7" was a good opportunity to create some original artwork outside of the design approach I normally take.  When researching into the song I came across the weird and unique music video for it which provided some inspiration on what sort of image to create.  



Secret 7" description of the song: 'Apparently this song is all about sex. It's influential stop motion video that accompanied the track's original release in 1986 is an all time great, and we shall be pressing the video edit audio.'

The tracks Secret 7" choose aim to encompass a large audience, meaning the genres and time periods completely vary. Some act as nostalgia like Peter Gabriel's and bring back memories and images from the time (can see this from comments on the videos). For me this song and the video seem dated and 'retro' so wanted to show this in my artwork I produced.


Above is the original artwork for the singles release which is a fairly obvious solution and not as colourful or imaginative as the song. 

Visual Inspiration

Focusing on shapes, colours and composition of images. 


Noi Viva Design ‘89



Peter Stallard ‘88


Joanne Palulian ‘87













I am aiming to screen print my design, however because of time I need to reduce the colours to about 2 or 3 to make it possible. 


Below are my colour choices in CMYK making sure the colours would be digitally printable. 







Screen printing gives more freedom with colour choice. I originally wanted to use fluorescent colours to match the memphis/miami vice aesthetic. I also don't want the image to look too clean and vectorised as it does currently will experiment with different textures and media.   


One way of getting a textured effect is to print it out then collage it back together. I also like the grainy print of the block black colours when scanned in.  




Wanted the image to look as flat as possible so went around the edges removing the shadows created by the scanner. 






Final Digital Design

The outcome below encompasses the context and era (for me) the song was made and the sound of the record. The print finish gives a retro feel although it is a digitally printed vector image.    


After some print trials I found that the red was a little too dark. I have mocked up a sleeve from my other colour choice which works just as well and is down to my own personal preference which I choose. The vector based illustration would work better than the collaged images which lost quality in printing so decided to use that. 





Record Label Design (Vinyl Sticker)

Wanted to keep it simple and classic so focused on minimal type choices and simple clear information. Looked at other labels and the original. 























No comments:

Post a Comment