Friday 24 April 2015

Police Brutality Zine: 'Hands Up, Don't Shoot'

Common phrase used by protesters. 






Front Cover Experiments 

The content will be matter-of-fact because I am adding type from a number of different sources throughout the zine and saying it how it is, the black and white colour choice will reflect this transparency. It also relates to more obviously police colours in America (black and white cars) and the unbiased two sides of the stories - those responsible vs those affected - giving people the opportunity to form their own opinions while reading through.  




I am currently not sure on how I will print the cover but do plan to use a different black stock to the rest of the zine so will have to see how this will limit what I can print onto it.  


I have decided to use the image below as the front cover which I will screen print using a clear varnish on black stock. This will result in the text being hard to notice at first and will require someone to interact with the publication to discover it.   




The typeface is similar to one that can be found as the time and date stamps on CCTV footage which have recorded many of the incidents. I want to present the type and images in a slightly distorted manner as a lot of the videos fail to capture the full incidents, are a low quality/grainy or are from an odd angle making it hard for others to interpret what actually happened. In contrast to the synthetic sans-serif typeface for the title I have chosen to use a serif typeface to further emphasise to two different point of views.   

Content

Quotes, opinions, facts and statistics gathered from my research. Will add as high impact typographic pieces alongside images.  



I have established a grid system I can begin adding my content to. The challenge will be to keep a certain structure that fits within the grid and keeps the pages consistent, yet provide variety to keep the reader engaged.  


No comments:

Post a Comment