Sunday 29 December 2013

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 2 - Clothing Brands

Collecting 100

To start my research about clothing brands I asked some questions to gather opinions. I aimed the questions to try and see how people would think about them personally when buying clothes. 










I found an article online titled Brands vs No Brands which argued this issue well and raised some points as to why people would wear more expensive branded clothing opposed to cheap no-labels:

'High-end companies will ensure superior quality in order to uphold their reputations. And if I get great shirts from a particular brand name, I also expect other products by the same brand to be well made. However, I’m not sure what I’m getting with no-name labels.'

They referenced an american sit-com called 'The 70s Show' which is based on the life of a self centred, yet insecure teenager and picked out of quote from the show summing up her view as to why she wears branded clothing: "I am not insecure! This is a designer sweater, this is designer eye shadow, and those are designer shoes and they make me feel INCREDIBLY secure!"

I also found people will buy anything if it holds an association with something they are interested in (or obsessed with). An example of this is the plain white t-shirt hip hop artist Kanye West brought out and sold for $120 where the only personalisation was 'A.P.C KANYE' silkscreened on the inside neckline. The t-shirt however managed to sell out instantly. 

   
















No comments:

Post a Comment