Tuesday 22 April 2014

OUGD404 Evaluation


BA (Hons.) GRAPHIC DESIGN
LEVEL
04
 Module Code 
OUGD404               


 Module Title
Design Principles


END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

NAME
Jake Simmonds



1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have developed skills in typography and type design from the start of the module where we looked at type categories and the characteristics the letterforms to type structure, anatomy, readability and legibility. I was able to learn a lot about these areas as I hadn’t previously been taught and the briefs throughout the module enabled me to put what I have learnt into practice.

Grid systems, type hierarchy and page layouts was also an area where I developed my skills. I found this section of the module to be useful in learning correct terminology, how grids can be used, the broad range of grid systems and how to effectively display information.    




2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Experiment and practise. Start from sketching ideas in both layouts and typography through thumbnail sketches and repeat the process as much as you need to. This enabled my design work to have more variety and be more experimental which I could then narrow down to find the best result and develop digitally.







3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I feel my final resolutions to the briefs have been a strong point as I have paid attention to detail and continued to develop them if there was anything I wasn’t happy with. I now have full understanding of the appropriate terminology regarding typography and grid and have been able to articulate these terms in my developmental stages on my blog.     








4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Time management could have been better throughout this module as I often left things for too long an as a result wasn’t able to spend enough time on them. This lead to my design development to be not as thorough which affected the final outcomes. I can address this problem in the future by timetabling projects, writing to do lists and identifying high priority tasks. 

Gain a better understanding of type hierarchies and how different fonts work for different situations will improve the standard of my work. I can address this by expanding my research practise using a lager variety of fonts instead of perusing the safer option.   




5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Blog immediately after each session as this will insure that no information is lost and my development can be mapped out more effectively.

More experimental sketches. This was a concept that was introduced fairly late to us in the module but now I have realised its importance and effectiveness I intend to use them more often and gain more variety in my work.

Don’t restrict myself to working in a certain way explore other options and do more independent research as this will further my understanding of design principles and allow me to be more confident in my work.
    




6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance



x

Punctuality



x

Motivation



x

Commitment


x


Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment