Friday 10 October 2014

Kickstarter 'Kua Fu Initaitive' Logo (SB2)



The Kua Fu Initiative:

A low orbit photography and video research experiment designed to rekindle interest in exploration and inspire people of all ages.

'Like most ambitious children at one point in my young life I wanted nothing more than to be an astronaut, to feel the weightlessness of space and look back on our planet with wonderment and awe of our existence. This project is my way to satisfy that long ago once dreamed desire and I want to take everyone who has ever had that same dream with me.

The aspiration to explore what is over that next hill or above the clouded sky has lost the luster it once held over most of us. This summer with our first launch, I plan to share a journey of exploration to help rekindle that spark of wonderment and exploration.'

 'The goal is to launch a payload capsule into the lower stratosphere with the intent to record HD video and photography of the curvature of the earth and surrounding areas. Secondary to this is to take research readings in the lower atmosphere, track ascent and descent patterns, and provide a way for everyone to come along for the journey.'

The Kickstarter project I have chosen is called 'The Kua Fu Initiative' I wanted to use this project as it is something I find interesting and is also a realistic idea. What also made me choose it was the reference to Kua Fu which could bring up some interesting themes and imagery for a logo. 

Kua Fu (夸父) 

Kua Fu (Chinese: 夸父) is a giant in Chinese mythology who wished to capture the sun. This illustrates the inspiring nature of the project and the use of mythology in brands is also a common theme (Nike, Versace, Amazon, Pandora ect). 






I am a fan of Chinese lettering as it is and I think if I wanted a simple logo I wouldn't have to push these concepts much further. They are the direct Chinese translations for 'Kua Fu' however I feel they don't really relate to Chinese mythology and are too modern for what I am looking for - they remind me of busy shop signs found in Hong Kong and Shanghai's streets.   

Visual Inspiration











Experimenting with different weights and arrangements of fonts. If I wanted to use one of these and develop it further I would like to use the white symbols with the black box. It is too vague at the moment however and want to get some feedback on how I can push it further.  













No comments:

Post a Comment